How to secure a rental property faster
8 Aug, 2018
If you’ve been looking to rent a property anytime in the last few years you probably know just how tricky it can be. Chances are you spend weeks looking at unsuitable homes (too small, too busy, too quiet, too yuk) and then when you finally find one you love, everybody else wants it too and you have to join the queue.
But renting a property is a science and a few handy tips can push you ahead of the crowd. Here’s our easy list of tips to help you next time you’re on the move
- Be prepared. Check your credit rating (free at www.noddle.co.uk) so you know what the agent or landlord will see, in advance – it could save disappointment later (and don’t worry if its not great, there are plenty of things you can do to improve it).
- Find out who will give you a reference when you need one. Tee up your employer, accountant, solicitor, current landlord and let them know when the call or email comes about you, to reply as soon as possible.
- Build rapport with the letting agent and if you can, the landlord too. Explain to them why the property suits you and try to fit in with their plans if you can such as with the length of tenancy.
- Be quick and decisive. Know what you want and when you see it, say YES!
- Be prepared to pay an admin fee quickly too, some firms will accept card payments as well as a bank transfer.
- Be honest. You’re likely to be found out about that secret pet or flatmate so it’s best to be upfront.
- Do your research. Who are the good agents, and who are the bad? Avoid the latter!
Finally, try to enjoy the process. Moving home can be fun and exciting – a fresh start. The happier you are, the more likely a new landlord or letting agent will want to help you.