5 top ways to secure your new home faster!
13 Apr, 2018
Let’s face it, whilst moving home can be exciting, it can also be full of lows as well as highs.
Once you find your ideal home you’ll want to snap it up as quickly as you can with the minimum hassle.
Over the years we’ve dealt with thousands of lettings and so have a great perspective on just how to make things run as smoothly as possible for everybody involved.
Here are our own top 5 ways to make things quicker and easier when you rent.
- Be prepared. Know the exact date you need to move whether its for a job start or when you need to be out of your current home. If you can afford it consider taking the new home a few days early, it gives you time to move in at a more leisurely pace.
- Be cash ready. You’ll want to secure the new place as soon as you decide so be prepared to put down a holding deposit and pay the agent’s fee (these may be outlawed in coming months but right now agents charge for references etc). Usually you can pay by cash, cheque or debit card and until received, most agents carry on showing other tenants around.
- Decide on references early. Get all of your bank information, employers details, NI number, list of previous addresses ready before you view. A credit check will be made, if you are worried about skeletons in the closet, you can check yours for free.
- Be flexible. Try where possible to fit in with things. Sometimes dates for the move aren’t available if the landlord is, for example getting the home decorated or waiting for a Gas Safe report. We usually find that most people who lose their first choice go on to find something they prefer so try to stay positive!
- Don’t be afraid to ask! Despite a less than perfect public image, most landlords are friendly and amenable. If there is something in the property you need changed or you spot a repair that’s needed, just say. Good landlords want to keep their property in good condition and keep their prospective tenants happy.
Bonus tip! Above all, before parting with any money remember to check that the agent is reputable such as by being members of a Property Redress Scheme such as tpos.co.uk
If you’re hoping to move soon, we hope you find the perfect home and don’t forget to find out if we can help.