Renting? You need to know this

Although we do all we can to assist movers, it can still be a daunting prospect for some with lots of paperwork to look at and checks that need to be made.

Luckily the government have produced a handy guide for tenants setting out all of the information you’ll need to know as well as a checklist of things that should be given to you whether you are renting from us, another agent or even the landlord directly.

The guide can be found HERE

Here’s a list of the bear minimum that you should receive:

• An EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) This will give you guidance on the energy efficiency of the home with a rating from A to G, with A being the best. It can help you to budget for heating costs although the figures are only ever approximate

Deposit protection By law your deposit should be held in a special scheme so it’s covered if, for example the landlord disappears and it will also help to solve any disputes you may have when you leave, for example if money is withheld due to damage you don’t think you caused. 

• A Gas Safety Certificate any gas installations should have an annual check by a qualified Gas Safe engineer and a certificate (basically a pass or fail) will be issued. Without it you should not agree to move in and definitely not use any gas appliances. A new certificate should be issued every 12 months.

Who do you call? You landlord and/or agent should provide you with all contact details in case anything goes wrong.